Monday, May 30, 2011

The Beginning....




My eldest son has taken a shine to the martial arts (at least his new white belt and gi). While it has been fun doing some basics with him, and letting him have a laugh while rolling about, it makes me reflect upon what I should eventually teach him, and what to omit--for now.

He promises that what I show him will not be used on brothers, friends, parents, etc. Nonetheless, I am really only showing him blocks, front kicks and open palm strikes on the punching bag. And usually, the whole thing ends up being about me throwing him "judo style" onto the couch. (He's just four, after all).

But the real question I have is twofold: 1) What's the balance between defense/fun/and safety for his age and a bit older.

2) What style would I introduce him to first. (Of course he'll be invited to formally train with me at some point--and my own style is my first choice for my own defense--but I don't really think all the techniques we learn are suitable until he's old enough to realize the serious nature of the techniques).

He seems to find basic karate and judo enjoyable. And maybe these are a perfect start, as both are solid--especially together--and can be adapted/expanded into other arts such as aikido, jui-jitsu, or whatever he likes.

For now, however, his training will be some fun basics and some couch throws. Learning by having fun is the best method at this age, and to be honest, I like it, as well.

I'm just thinking ahead, that's all.

*note: I once listened to an Ojibwa elder tell a story about the "old days" and about a group of seven-year-olds practicing their bow skills in the woods. He added, "We had no problem letting kids have these responsibilities, and as a result of our trust, they took the weapons more seriously."

5 comments:

  1. I think you need to step back and consider your son as a person for a second. I recall a talk on TED.com which had the topic of 7 dangerous things you should let your child do. Things like make fire, how to use a knife, etc. With supervision and telling them about the serious nature of such things, you make it possible for the kid to learn. I thought of this when you mentioned the Ojibway elder anecdote. I think kids can learn the martial arts, but as you said, keep it simple. Until he becomes a youth/young adult, the basics should be enough. One thing you might consider is keeping the arts separate, if that is a concern. Trying to learn just one art is often enough for a kid to keep straight - heck, adults have enough trouble with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a cool talk.... i will search it out....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for my previous laziness, but I just found it. It was five things. Here is the link: http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/gever_tulley_on_5_dangerous_things_for_kids.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. i watched the talk and would recommend it to everyone.... my one-year-old is a big thrower, which he speaks to...
    thanks again.

    ReplyDelete