Friday, March 25, 2011

the door

Here's something that caught my attention.
I was recently in a store and noticed a mother and her teenage daughter entering through the front door.
The teenager carelessly let the heavy door fling back and bump her mother's shoulder, who in turn sighed irritably.
Said the mother:
"Don't you know that you should never just let go of a door? Come on. My hands were in my pockets. I taught you better than that..."
The daughter, embarrassed, apologized and I heard the mom grumbling as they walked away.
And I thought to myself, it's true, the daughter should have been more aware. More considerate.
But really, the mother was unaware of the true lesson of this event: that she was actually teaching her daughter that it's okay to follow people through doors with your hands in your pockets.

No comments:

Post a Comment