Friday, July 9, 2010

the Saloon Blues



I helped de-escalate a potential fight at a small pub recently.
I didn’t know the two people, nor was I in an irrational state from alcohol consumption. It was just about enjoying a nice evening on the patio when some inebriated twenty-year-old took offense to some another guy. It ended up being nothing, as myself and an acquaintance quickly intervened and talked the pair down. We were merely passing along the first concept of self-defense: avoid physical entanglement.
Because of this no one was injured and I don't recall seeing either one of them again.
Anyway, the evening returned to a pleasant tone and everyone went home none-the-worse except for a few hangovers that seemed to be inevitable by some of the patrons--Oh well.
I guess I write about this with no real reason except to reflect upon how much nicer the evening was without a violent eruption casting a shadow on everyone’s mood. As for my training, it was nice to see that I reacted quickly and without thought--and in the proper manner--to keep the peace.
No heroism, maybe just a selfish desire for a quiet pint of beer.

2 comments:

  1. The biggest victory won is in the battle never fought.

    Well done.

    Journeyman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet if more people had the same selfish desidre for a quiet pint, the world would be a merrier place.

    ReplyDelete