Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Pain





Chronic injury was a major reason why I did not follow through with martial arts training over a decade ago. It was the reason I took up Taoist Tai Chi for a while, as I was looking for a low impact style that would promote healing. Meanwhile, an ex-kickboxing roomate of mine spent time with me discussing blocks and strikes--and lending me Bruce Lee books.

When I finally committed to training more recently--more seriously--the injury reappeared and I was crushed. The last time it occured it had lasted almost two years. But I decided I was going to continue no matter what. Fortunately, the injury healed within about a month. Since then I have had others, some of which have healed and others are still nagging. A lot. However, this time I have realized that most people who train hard go through similar issues--especially adults--and that while focusing time and energy on healing and avoiding techniques that will prolong the injury is important, that fighting through these imperfections of body is for many just part of the gig.
My training partners are good at remembering to be mindful (for the most part) as am I with any injuries they may have. And in truth, the days following a visit to the dojo, I usually feel better than the day before. I guess adaptability becomes paramount. And the goal to transform any weaknesses into strengths.

1 comment:

  1. My view on training is this:
    1)Mitgate weakness;
    2)Accentuate strength.

    ReplyDelete